3.30.2009

Vesty vest

I've been wanting a black vest for awhile now, but the vests that I would try on where not quite right. Some were too puffy, some were bulky around the shoulders yet tight around the waist, and others were only available in white (white outerwear is just a bad idea). I had an idea in my head as to what this vest would look like. It needed to be feminine and also outdoorsy. I finally found the vest, but the price was around $200. (See below)



At one point in my life I would have dropped that, but I no longer have the talent to justify spending money in that fashion. So, being crafty I thought I might be able to make one for myself and I might even be able to do it using thrifted fabric. I started by cruising the local Goodwill (Broadway). There were some great options there. I landed on this sweater, then took off to Fabric Depot to get some coordinating fabrics and notions.



After all the fabrics were found, I just needed a pattern. I pulled a jacket out of my closet that had some similar design details along with a wonderful fit. I then pulled out another jacket that has a hood that actually functions. Using tracing paper I traced the pieces of each jacket that I wanted to copy. Then I started in on the hard part--making sure each pattern piece would work with the others. This part of the project took the longest.

Once the pattern pieces were ready to go, I started cutting. It's always nerve racking to cut into something that already functions (like the sweater). I almost didn't, because I had started to grow attached to the idea of owning a frumpy sweater to wear around the house. I hemmed and hawed about it for a day or two before I took the plunge. In hindsight I'm glad I went for it. It added the perfect touch to my vest. Check it out!




5 comments:

Mary Ella said...

AMAZING!!! You are so crafty, I love it.

Anonymous said...

Your talent never ceases to amaze me my dear friend!

Lyns said...

Looks great! Good job!

Anonymous said...

looks awesome! I'll take 2! :)

Sarah Asay said...

you're amazing kristialyn!!