3.29.2009

Plastic-less

I am trying to live plastic free. I've always thought of plastic as bad and wasteful, but I have also used it without a flinch of guilt. I suppose that is the result of being raised in a disposable culture. Now, I am trying to live without it.

Unfortunately, it is everywhere. Upon opening my reliable cardboard box of Cheerios, I discovered a plastic bag and a plastic Guitar Hero toy (loads of fun). I had teriyaki chicken for dinner the other night and it came to me in a plastic take out box along with a plastic fork. It is hard to live plastic free.

I am uniting with a group of people to live plastic free for three months. Knowing that they might be living successfully without plastic draws me to believe that I too can do it. I am no where near successful right now, but I want to keep working at it and try to make it a sustainable change in my life; hopefully one that lasts behond the three month commitment.


One thing I've learned is that it is difficult to buy bread packaged in anything but plastic (excepting artisan bread, which does not work well for PB&J). So, I am making my own bread. Last night I made bread sticks to accompany dinner and today I made a loaf of buttermilk bread (thank you Cook's Illustrated). Here is a picture of the beautiful loaf of bread. I'm so proud. One less piece of plastic consumed.


6 comments:

Sarah Asay said...

beautiful!! i bet it smells very nice....

Kristialyn Johnson said...

It smells like a field of wheat that has spent its entire day basking in the Midwest sun.

Anonymous said...

Midwest! Whoop whoop! I LOVE YOUR NEW BLOG DESIGN! Sometime I may be knocking on your door to have you give mine a re-design. Now STOP BLOGGING, so I can go get some stuff done! Seriously, please stop distracting me. Your creative genius just keeps sucking me in...away from my homework, bike, and messy room...

Anonymous said...

i am so proud of you...and i can't wait to hear more about your adventures of a plastic-less life. give us your wisdom!

Alexis said...

I am so impressed! I am inspired to bake bread!!! It looks fantastic. I try to not use much plastic, but I know there are ways for me to cut back even more. Thanks for the inspirations! You should share any helpful tips you have.

Anonymous said...

Tasty bread. Tasty wife.