5.03.2009

Look Mom No Plastic!

Last weekend my Grandma sent me home with a large paper bag filled with freshly picked rhubarb straight from her garden. My Grandma picks the rhubarb so that it has some of its root base still attached, this helps it to stay fresh longer. This is good for me, because I'm always slow in finding a good use for it.

I've had some delicious rhubarb dishes in the past week and a half, so I decided to freeze the rhubarb my Grandma gave me and make use of it later. As I mindlessly went about the kitchen in search of a plastic freezer bag, I ran across two large Ball jars with old fashioned glass lids. They're really quite cute and I love having them on display in our windowed cupboards. But, it struck me that these two Ball jars might be put to some industrious use.

Without even really considering it, I made a plastic free decision. It's incredible that there always seems to be an alternative to plastic. I'm truly excited about this plastic free choice, because once I use the rhubarb I just need to throw the jars in the dishwasher and they're ready for another use! I may need to stock up on these Ball jars...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am totally a bell jar fan...and you have really been making me think twice about ALLLLLLL the plastic I use on a daily basis w/o even wondering if there is an alternative. Great idea and the rhubarb looks FANTASTIC!!!