1.22.2009

On Occasion...

On occasion I feel brilliant. Today, was such an occasion.

I am by nature a shy person. Not in the sense that I shy away from opportunity, but shy in the sense that I know people have many important things to do and I'd rather not interrupt them. When I am called upon to interrupt people (i.e. have a conversation with them), my heart starts to beat quicker and the air thickens. I feel pressure to say something worth the time I am stealing--to awe them. But I find that when I open my mouth, I am just me and our conversation is no more than usual.

Today though, was not a usual sort of day. Today I led a workshop. I excel at workshops. People elect to come to workshops. There is no stealing time from anyone. They seek to hear what I have to say. So, I spoke. The things I had planned to say came out of my mouth in the correct order. And the questions I had planned to provoke thought did just as they were told to do.

In the end I was very pleased with myself. I sit here now still thinking about how brilliant I was. Today was an occasion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! What was the workshop? I SO wish I could have been there to clap, cheer and whistle from the back row...(well, I'm not a very good whistler, so I would probably do loon calls instead.)

I don't know about others, but I find you to have the perfect mix of WIT and SERIOUSNESS. It makes me miss our movie nights on your bed in Oregon, with OJ or Sprite in wine glasses...those were SO memorable for me.

Alexis said...

I think you are quite brilliant every day!