5.31.2008

A Vacation with the Johnsons


Today Dave and I said good-by to his parents. We drove them to the airport early this morning. The farewell was sad, as most are when family and friends are involved. We both hope that one day there will be no farewell and no end to their visit to Portland. Until that time it is up to us to continue showing them all the wonders that make up our fair city.

Some of the places we highlighted on this trip were: Powell's, Saturday Market, The Screen Door, Flying Pie Pizzeria, Mt. Tabor Park, Montavilla Antique Mall, IKEA, Genies, and Cannon Beach. Each day was so full that we needed a mid-afternoon nap in order
to gather enough strength for the next item on our itinerary. I was so exhausted from our trip to Cannon Beach that on our drive home it took less than 20 min. for me to fall asleep; my head bobbing up and down, swaying gently with curves of the road in the soft heat of the car.

While we rested well, we also ate well. I don't think my stomach ever had a fair opportunity to realize that it might be hungry. We estimated that while we were at Cannon Beach we must have spent over $20 on candies alone. I found one candy shop that had the most amazing caramel. It was soft and chewy, buttery and slightly salty; it was everything one could desire from a morsel of caramel. Originally I bought only one--silly me. Shortly after I ate my caramel I realized that I most certainly needed another. I went back to the candy shop and showed more restraint than I thought possible and bought only two more.

This morning all the candies and mementos were packed up in suitcases, then loaded into our car. Dave and I watched as the suitcases were checked and then as his parents walked away through the security check. I have to be honest, I am not a fan of good-byes.

*In keeping with Johnson Family tradition, all photos posted on this blog show people walking away from the camera.

4 comments:

Bola Moyo said...

What a delightful tradition! I think it's time we Pattisons turned OUR backs to the cameras.

Cara

Kimberly said...

*unrelated comment*

I'm very jealous of your "currently listening to" selection... It is the only Innocence Mission CD I do not own (and I own several "children's" CDs). Perhaps it is time.

Ramón said...

I told you the Johnsons were nonstop on vacation...glad you survived!

Anonymous said...

mmmm....candy. mmmmm...i miss kyo.